Friday, December 31, 2010

Ryan Wilson wishes everybody a rip snorter of a New Year

This New Years Eve finds me about to leave for a B & S I'm having with some of my fellow expatriates and a few Sheepshaggers as well, but before I do I wanted to wish everybody an Ace New Year.  I won't bore you by recapping all the news that Myron did yesterday, but needless to say 2010 was alright and 2011 will be even better.

You know, I know that teachers and their unions are responsible for the bodgy schools in this country and sometimes I think they're about as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike, but I don't think they're bad people.  To the contrary, I think the reason they fight education reform so much and keep pointing to studies that show that it doesn't work is because they're scared of progress.  That's not too surprising.  You can imagine what the last buggy whip salesmen convention was like.

To me, students are like Lew Alcindor or as he later became known Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  Education reformers such as myself are like legendary UCLA coach John Wooden trying instruct and lead our students by reinventing the game of education.  The teachers unions are like the NCAA officials that banned dunking from the 1967-1976 seasons.   You see, Alcindor was so dominant that the NCAA tried to stop this play from happening, but you can never be stop progress.  Today, Kareem is adored by millions or at least he was until 2001.

So, when the teachers unions spits the dummy and tries telling you that your reforms are unproven or have been shown not to work, just tell them that they're just like the NCAA.   That's what John Wooden would have done.   See you all next year. I'm gonna go off my face now.

No comments:

Post a Comment